Tuesday 26 August 2014

Filament Spool Holder

Got some cheap PLA filament on eBay...


...so now I need to make a spool holder.


Version 1

 I found this design on Thingiverse:




I found cheap roller-door rollers with bearings at Bunnings for $5.14 each.  I wanted real bearings, rather than 3D printing a solution.  You don't want filament feeding problems.


Printed a copy:

Problems:
  • Side walls too thin. cracked on a slight flex.
  • Had some warping from uneven cooling.
  • My roller wheels were 1mm to wide (oops).


Researching warping, best preventative strategies are:
  • Avoid cold draughts.
  • Clean all surfaces with Isopropyl Alcohol to remove grease.  It also makes the blue painter's tape super-adhesive to the plastic.
  • Can slice up the object using skirt and brim settings to attach the skirt to the object.

Version 2

Decided to make my own.  Removed most of the vertical wall material, and made the vertical walls much thicker.  I had some perfect sized M5 bolts.  I printed some bushings because The bearing diameter is 6mm, and this way I can tighten up the nut onto the bushing and not the bearing.



Download and 3D View Here: Spool-Holder

Print number two resulted in a fail half way through.


Investigation found my first 3D printer jam.  If only I had some device to help feed the filament in smoothly...  I also adjusted the extruder spring tension off a little bit in case there was too much force applied.


Print number 3 finally working and assembled.















No comments:

Post a Comment